Thursday, April 23, 2015

Lync 2010 server stops - Certificate Expired

The Lync server stop responding for all users. Lo and behold the certificate had expired. The last certificate was installed/updated 2 years ago. Fairly painless to update the certificate (i.e. install a new certificate) on the Server. We use an Internal Windows CA. Lync can use (and by default) a simple SSL cert.

Today, the Lync client bombs for all users. Lync 2010 client reads "there was a problem verifying the certificate from the server...". The login process seems to hang indefinitely.


I open the Lync Control Panel and get a security alert. View certificate yields the following. I should have reminded myself to update the certificate. It is unfortunate that the process isn't automated nor is there a good system of alerting for impending certificate expiration.

Look at the details of the cert. I am noting the SAN entries

The rest is fairly simple. Open the Lync Deployment Wizard. Select "Request, Install or Assign...".
For my installation, I was able to accept all the default of the Certificate generation  since I had previously received (installed) a certificate from the same CA server.

During the cert generation wizard, I am verifying that the auto-generated Subject Alternative Names (SAN) matches what I had previously. Notice the SIP.<domainname>.com SAN was not there. No sweat because it is added on the next screen.
.

Make sure the SIP domain is correct. Again, for me, all I had to do was accept the default.



Next, next, next and the new cert is generated and installed. From the Wizard I select "start services" for good measure.

I will be upgrading to on-prem Lync 2013 very soon. 
Good Luck.

1 comment:

  1. I know this is a fairly old post by now, but you forgot to blur your domain name out of the second to last screenshot.

    Good luck with your 2013 upgrade. I've gone through two of them and both were pretty horrible. If you use mobile devices, know that you'll absolutely have to have a reverse proxy server. The old method of just forwarding the necessary ports via a firewall/router that worked in 2010 won't work in 2013.

    ReplyDelete