Monday, April 13, 2015

Outlook not displaying e-mail attachment, attachment not stripped by Exchange

I ask a user to send me an e-mail w/ attachment. I receive the e-mail - no attachment. I call the sender, the sender swears that she sent the attachment. The e-mail with attachment shows in her "sent items".

My first thought is that Exchange stripped the attachment. The problem with this theory is that the attachment type is not banned, i.e. the attachment is a simple PDF not an .exe or a .vbs or anything like that.

Coincidentally, I look down at my smartphone (Driod - Galaxy S5) and sure enough, the e-mail with attachment is looking right at me. Now I am confused.

Additionally, I open OWA and the e-mail with the attachment is there but it looks a little out of the norm.

Take a look:

Outlook - No attachment icon (little paperclip), no attachment in e-mail



OWA - No attachment icon, attachment DOES show in the e-mail when you open it



After through scouring of the Interwebs, I found some suggestions. This was difficult to research because most posts improperly referred to Exchange attachment blocking, virus filtering, etc. I saw a bunch of posts regarding MIME types but the resolution did not apply.

The problem exists w/ Exchange 2007 and 2010. I didn't confirm 2013.
Resolution is:

Exchange 2010:
1.Stop the Exchange Transport service.
2.Locate the EdgeTransport.exe.config file. This file is located in the following path:
<drive> :\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin\
3.In the EdgeTransport.exe.config file, add the following entry between the <appSettings> element and the </appSettings> element:
<add key="TreatInlineDispositionAsAttachment" value="true" />
4.Restart the Transport service


Exhcnage 2007
[shell]
set-OrganizationConfig -ShowInlineAttachments:$true


Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment